Call for Sessions
Session proposal submissions will be accepted from September 18 through October 28, 2019.
The 54th Annual Conference of the Canadian Sociological Association (CSA) will be held from Monday, June 1 through to Thursday, June 4, 2020 as part of the Federation of Humanities and Social Sciences Congress this year taking place at Western University in London, Ontario.
This year’s Conference is projected to be among the highest attended in several years. A newly formed CSA Conference Program Committee has selected a relevant theme and is developing strategies to enhance attendee engagement and networking during the event.
The CSA Conference theme for 2020 will be “Resisting Racism and Colonialism / Combattre le Racisme et le Colonialisme.” The Program Committee selected this theme as a way to address the broader Congress theme (Bridging Divides: Confronting Colonialism and Anti-Black Racism) through a sociological lens. Our theme focuses on resistance to the structural inequalities and violence against Black, Indigenous and racialized peoples, examining social forces in the world around us while remaining self-reflexive about our own disciplinary practices.
We hope that this theme is generative for beginning discussions and pushing forward research agendas, but of course we invite session proposals from all areas of sociological research. The CSA also welcomes interdisciplinary proposals in partnership with other Associations participating in the Congress. Sessions may be held in English and/or French and take the form of regular oral, roundtables, or panels.
We look forward to receiving your proposals.
2020 Conference Program Committee:
- Tina Fetner, McMaster University
- Xiaobei Chen, Carleton University
- Jeff Denis, McMaster University
- Weizhen Dong, University of Waterloo
- Lesley Frank, Acadia University
- Sophie Mathieu, Brock University
- Howard Ramos, Dalhousie University
Session Proposal Submissions
1. Before you begin – review Conference Guidelines
2. Determine details regarding your session
- Co-organizer names, affiliations, email addresses if applicable
- Canadian Sociological Association Research Cluster affiliation if applicable
- Format – review Session Guidelines
- Canadian Sociological Association exclusive or interdisciplinary – review Session Guidelines
- Research Areas (or session categories)
- Open to submissions during the Call for Abstracts or by invitation only
- Session Title
- Session Description (maximum 300 words)
3. Click to access our online session proposal form
4. Contact us if you have any questions or require assistance with the process
5. Submit your proposal online no later than October 28, 2019 at 11:59pm ET
6. The Conference planning committee will advise you whether your proposal can be included in the programme on or about November 25, 2019
The Call for Abstracts will be open from November 28, 2019 to January 27, 2020