The CSA strives to support member participation in the annual Conference by recognizing the financial and logistical challenges experienced by members requiring childcare.
The following planning strategies are intended to provide convenience and flexibility for event participants.
- The CSA Conference will schedule the majority of sessions at 8:30am, 10:30am, 1:30pm, and 3:30pm Eastern Time (ET).
- Some may need be scheduled at 5:30pm ET due to the number of sessions in the program
- Research cluster meetings will be scheduled from 5:30pm-6:30pm ET
- The Women’s Caucus meeting will be scheduled in the 1:30pm ET time-slot
- Participants may be able to present remotely
The CSA will set aside funds to offset the cost of childcare for members participating in the CSA Conference as a presenter, panelist, chair, or discussant. Funds are limited and are therefore allocated based on applications received and criteria determined by the Executive Committee.
Eligibility Criteria and Terms:
- Membership in the Canadian Sociological Association
- Must be active at the time of application and through June 2, 2023
- Participation in the 2023 Canadian Sociological Association Conference as a presenter, panelist, chair, or discussant
- Professional status in one of the following categories*;
- Postdoctoral Fellow
- Limited-term Contract Faculty
- Sessional Instructor
- NPO / Community Organization Employee (non-academic)
- Unemployed / independent scholar
- Care required for child(ren) under 12 years-of-age
- Applicant must be responsible for the care of all children included on the application
* It is assumed that these positions are least likely to qualify for institutional support and/or the financial stability to manage childcare expenses.
- Open from February 1 through April 3 2023
- The adjudication committee will include representative(s) from the Canadian Sociological Association Executive Committee and the Feminist Sociology Research Cluster
- Funding levels will be finalized based on the number of children and sessions in which the applicant is participating
- Approved applicants will receive instructions and a claim form on or about May 15, 2023
- The completed claim form with documentation (receipt of fees paid) must be submitted by June 9, 2023 to the CSA office
- Funding will be distributed following the Conference