The Federation of the Humanities and Social Sciences (FHSS) supports its scholarly associations’ collective desire to facilitate the participation of exceptional graduate students in Congress activities. Graduate students enrich the Congress experience for all participants by contributing to knowledge production through research and presentations, and, more generally, through their presence and interactions with fellow colleagues and members of the broader community.
The Federation in partnership with the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) has introduced a pilot program to provide funding to select graduate students as endorsed by member Associations.
The Canadian Sociological Association (CSA) will be eligible for up to six endorsed students who will each receive a $500 award. The intention is for this award to be based on merit rather than financial need and offered in addition to other student funding programs utilized by the Associations. A commitment to increasing equity, diversity, and inclusion is to also be considered when selecting students to endorse.
Graduate students (MA and PhD) members of the Canadian Sociological Association (CSA) who have been approved to present a paper at the 2022 CSA Conference are invited to apply for this award from February 1 through March 15, 2022.
The online application will ask applicants for the following information;
- Email address
- CSA membership validation (member #)
- Academic affiliation (institution and department)
- Academic level (MA/PhD)
- Academic standing
- Student to confirm that they are currently in good academic standing and will be asked to provide transcript or letter of support from a supervisor if in final considered for the award
- Abstract of the research/paper which has been approved for presentation at the CSA Conference
- Identification as a member of an equity-seeking group
- Summary of academic and applied accomplishments relating to the field of Sociology
Note: Applicants may not have received this award in previous years.
An ad-hoc committee of the CSA Conference Program Committee will be adjudicating this award and will be communicating the results on or about April 7, 2022.